Nachricht
  • EU e-Privacy Directive

    This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

    View e-Privacy Directive Documents

 

Our Lady’s Parish church (Our Lady of the Assumption) is the main Roman Catholic church of the parish Bruneck.

The various works of art which were created for the glory of our Lord are meant to encourage visitors to contemplate and to dedicate some time to silent prayer.
This New Romanesque style church was built by the Rev. Dean Anton von Klebelsberg between 1851 and 1853; it was designed by Hermann von Bergmann from Vienna. It is the fourth church building erected on the same spot. As early as the 13th century there was a small church standing on the same spot which was dedicated to Holy Mother Mary. In the 15th century a large church was erected in the Gothic style; however, it was never completed. The apse with its buttresses is an old part of this Gothic church. The third church, erected around 1790 in the style of Classicism was destroyed by a fire in 1850.
The paintings on the ceiling, representing the life of Holy Mother Mary, were created by Georg Mader (1858 – 1866); he was from Tyrol and belonged to the Nazarene school of painters. These paintings are of excellent quality.
The altarpieces were painted by Franz Hellweger (1860 – 1866) from St. Lorenzen.
The bronze relief on the left pillar in the entrance hall is called “the Kempter Epitaph” and is ascribed to Hans Reichle from Brixen (1620).
The wood carving on the left central pillar representing Jesus carrying the cross with Simon of Cyrene is attributed to Hans Judenburg; it dates from around 1430.
The Pietà (Mary holding the body of her son Jesus Christ after his death), a stone sculpture on the left side altar, dates from around 1400.
The portrait hanging in front, near the pulpit, depicts Saint Josef Freinademetz; it was painted by Annelies Frenes Hitthaler (2003). 
The big crucifix in front on the right-hand side was probably carved by Michael Pacher, a well-known artist from this town; it stems from the late 15th century.
The stations of the cross are burnt clay reliefs. It’s fairly particular to have a 15th station: it represents Saint Helena with the cross.
The organ was made by Mathis (1983).